First Grade Math Program Overview:
The Math Curriculum in first grade aligns with the expectations of the Iowa Core. Through a variety of instructional strategies, including Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI), students will become proficient in the standards listed below.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Work with addition and subtraction equations.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Extend the counting sequence.
- Understand place value.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Measurement and Data
- Measure lengths indirectly and by iterating length units.
- Tell and write time.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Reason with shapes and their attributes.
Stadards of Mathematical Practices
Not only must students become proficient in the content standards of the Iowa Core, but they must be able to solve problems using the following standards of mathematical practice.
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.