Math Program Overview:
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
The Number System
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplicaion and division to divide fractions by fractions.
- Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
Expressions and Equations
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
- Develop understanding of statistical variability.
- Summarize and describe distributions.
Standards of Mathematical Practices:
Not only must students become proficient in the content standards of the Iowa Core, but they must be able to solve problems using the following standards of mathematical practice.
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.