Why Fort Dodge?
Fort Dodge offers many opportunities for employment, entertainment, education, shopping, and more. Below are a few things Fort Dodge is known for:
- A quality education system from pre-kindergarten through post-secondary (Iowa Central Community College and Buena Vista University)
- Exceptional healthcare, which includes Unity Point Medical Center, Berryhill Center for Mental Health, Paula Baber Hospice House.
- A downtown historic district and quaint locally owned stores.
- Cultural opportunities including an art museum, public library, a fort and historical museum, community theaters and area symphonies, multiple celebrations and concerts.
- A regional airport with non-stop service to Minneapolis, St. Louis & Chicago .
- Recreational facilities including an aquatic center, softball/baseball/soccer complex, an extensive trail system, an off-highway vehicle park for all-terrain vehicles and motor bikes, a speedway, designated areas for remote control vehicles, a skateboard park, community orchard, numerous city and county parks and lakes, and locations for music concerts throughout the year. Among the recreational activities available are fishing, kayaking, boating, water skiing, swimming, hiking, cross country skiing, ice skating, biking, golfing, and camping.
- A diverse faith community
- Community celebrations, which consists of Market on Central, Shellebration, Apple Fest, Dragon Boats, Blues Under the Trees, Indoor Triathlon, Frontier Days, Adventure Race, Hy-Vee 5k/Half Marathon, Dayton Rodeo, Gowrie 4th of July Celebration, and concerts at the Oleson Park Bandshell every Sunday evening throughout the summer.
The Fort Dodge Community School District offers a variety of ways to grow. We encourage and support all of our staff members to take that "next step," whatever it may be, ie: continuing education, attending workshops, etc. Below are some of the ways we provide opportunities for staff members:
- Apprenticeship: The FDCSD partners with the Iowa Workforce and Iowa Central Community College. The Workforce provides applicants with feedback on areas of improvement. The district will then provide opportunities for gaining experience in multiple job areas.
- Paraeducators: The Fort Dodge Senior High Child Development class provides opportunity for high school students to take a course and do activities similar to paraeducator courses. The FDCSD Foundation and school district will support and encourage students to complete these courses so that they are certified as paraeducators by the time they graduate.
- Equity Program: The FDCSD encourages our high school students to attend certain colleges throughout the United States. These same colleges then send students to our district to student teach. This program brings diversity into our community.
Together We Rise!