Elementary Students Participate in Healthiest State Walks
Healthiest State Walks Scheduled for FD Elementary Students
October 2, 2012, Fort Dodge, IA- Elementary students from the Fort Dodge Community Schools will join thousands of Iowans in the Healthiest State Walks this week.
Healthiest State Walks will take place at Fort Dodge Community Elementary Schools as follows:
· Butler Elementary students will walk on Wednesday, October 3, immediately following their school pictures in the morning. A general walking session open to the public has also been scheduled for 3:30 p.m. that day.
· The Cooper Cruise will take place during the post lunch recess on Wednesday, October 3. Students will walk around the block during this time. Parents are invited to join their child(ren) and the Cooper Booster Club will provide bottled water to all participants.
· Duncombe Elementary students will also walk following their lunch periods on Wednesday, October 3. Principal Reding will lead the students around the two blocks the school sits on.
· Feelhaver Elementary students will participate in their “Get Fit for School” walk at 11:15 a.m. on Friday, October 5, by walking the school grounds.
· Riverside Early Learning Center students will enjoy a walk around the block and through the park at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, October 5, followed by an all-school lunch.
In 2011, Governor Terry Branstad and Lt. Governor Kim Reynolds announced the plan to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation within five years as measured by the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. In 2011, Iowa ranked 16th compared to all other states, up from the 19th position in 2010.
“We talk with students about the importance of getting 60 minutes of physical activity each day,” stated Marcy Harms, Director of Student Services for Fort Dodge Community Schools. “The Healthiest State Walks are a fun way we can help the kids incorporate movement into their day to help them achieve that level of activity and better health.”
The mission of the Fort Dodge Community School District is to encourage and assist each individual to achieve his/her level of educational excellence. For more information about the Fort Dodge Community Schools visit www.fdschools.org or call 515.576.1161. Our Schools. Our Community. Our Pride.