Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
We appreciate your interest in the FDCSD Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program. TK is an educational program that is a bridge between preschool and traditional kindergarten, providing students time to build the necessary social and academic skills for success throughout their school experience. To enroll in TK, students must turn five years old on or before September 15 of the enrolling year.
Transitional Kindergarten is based on the Iowa Core Kindergarten Standards, including focused instruction in literacy and numeracy with a strong emphasis on self-regulation and social engagement. TK is designed to build the necessary social and academic skills for school success.
WHO BENEFITS FROM TK?
Children who need additional time and preparation to develop academic and social skills for the rigor of kindergarten may benefit from TK.
Families should consider their child’s language, social, cognitive, and motor skills development to determine if TK is the right fit for their child. Conversation with your child’s preschool teacher can also help with this decision. Ultimately, the decision to attend TK is up to each family.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR TK
The district has a limited number of TK seats. Once the seats are full, students will be placed on a waiting list. Currently enrollment for the 21-22 school year is being accepted. The pre-registration date for the 22-23 school year will be announced at a later date. Families must complete the registration process in the summer.
TYPICAL KINDERGARTEN READINESS SKILLS
Many children who enter kindergarten:
- Hold & use crayons/pencil
- Hold & use scissors
- Manipulate zippers, buttons, & snaps
- Identify 10-20 lowercase & uppercase letter names and sounds
- Identify numerals to 10 presented in random order
- Recognize their name in print, as well as the letters in their name
- Communicate about a story by answering questions or making comments
- Listen and follow simple directions
- Interact appropriately with peers and adults
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.
Doors open at 7:30 a.m.
TYPICAL DAY OF TK
- TK Morning Club
- Morning Meeting
- Small Reading Group Instruction
- Healthy Snacks
- Social Skill Development
- Purposeful Play (Centers)
- Specials Rotation (PE, Art, Computers/Library, Social Skills)
- Closing Circle
TK students can participate in Dodger Academy, the district’s after-school program, from 3:10 – 6 p.m. each school day. Bus transportation is provided to Dodger Academy which is housed at Butler Elementary. There is a cost to participate in this program.