Driver Education Department
DRIVER’S EDUCATION - NO CREDIT - 9, 10, 11, 12 Offered by Iowa Central Community College. - Those who wish to get an Iowa driver’s license before age 18 must successfully complete driver’s education. The course consists of a minimum of thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction and six (6) hours of behind the wheel driving with a certified instructor. Students may register for driver education in time to receive their driver’s education certificate on or before their sixteenth birthday. This course is offered only pass/fail. Students will receive one full credit toward graduation. A student’s Iowa instruction permit must be registered with the student’s school counselor prior to his/her registering to take drivers education. The fee is determined annually for the course and must be paid in full before first day of the course. Students can pick up driver’s license study information at the Department of transportation, Driver’s license station at 2313 1stAvenue South in Fort Dodge.
Changes to Iowa's Graduated License: effective January 1, 2014
- Instruction Permit
- Must hold instruction permit for 12 consecutive months prior to upgrading to an intermediate license
- Prior to upgrading to a minor school license or intermediate license, the young driver must have held the instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months violation and contributive crash free
- Intermediate License
- Effective January 1, 2014, all applicants must have held an instruction permit/minor school license for at least 12 months to be eligible for an intermediate license. The last 6 months must be violation/conviction and crash free to be eligible.
- Driving is restricted to one unrelated passenger (under 18) for the first 6 months. There is an option for a parent to waive the passenger restriction.
- Passengers are allowed if they are siblings, step-siblings or living in the same household, and are limited to the number of seatbelts in the vehicle.
- Minor School License
- Only one unrelated minor passenger (under 18) is allowed for the duration of the minor school license.
- Minor passengers are allowed if they are siblings, step-siblings or live in the same household.