Preparing For Your Career
ABC’s of Preparing For Your Career and Completing a Job Application
Steps in Preparing for Your Career
- What are your interests?
- What skills have you developed?
- What do you do best?
- Do you like working with people, things, or ideas?
- What subjects interest you?
Explore Career Possibilities
- Read about careers in trade journals and magazines.
- Explore summer or part-time employment in your area of interest.
- Consider volunteering if paid employment is not available.
- Interview people who hold a job in which you are interested.
Inform Yourself About the Career
- What qualifications are required?
- What type of education and training is required to enter the field?
- Is there opportunity for professional growth? What is the career path?
- Are jobs available in the field now? What is the projected growth in this area in the future?
Completing a Job Application
- Read directions carefully before answering any questions.
- Use a blue or black pen unless otherwise indicated.
- If possible, do a rough copy and correct errors before completing official copy.
- Print neatly and legibly.
- Answer all questions. Write N/A (not applicable) to any questions that do not pertain to you.
- Be positive. Do not volunteer negative experiences.
- Be honest in answering questions.
- Keep answers short and clear.
- Have your social security number available.
- Recheck entire application for errors before submitting it.
- Attach a copy of your resume if available.